21 December 2008

Day 21 - Will Power

Today's pouch is made of Mirasol Sulka in sage.


I spent most of the day working on my son's sweater. I have been caught out. He hasn't got a single warm sweater that fits him well at present. All I can say in my defense is that he is growing rather fast, and I have resisted the urge to resort to an easy solution, i.e. visit this place. Don't get me wrong - I do like Boden, but not for knitwear. I am a knitter for heaven's sake!
This is a snippet of the sweater in progress. May I say that working chunky alpaca and wool mix on 6mm needle feels like riding a lightning. The progress is stunning!


There is something else I would like to put on record today. It's an excerpt from a book I have found on my bedside table this morning and opened randomly and the first thing I saw was this:

"Will power!" retorted Arkad. "What nonsense. Do you think will power gives a man strength to lift a burden that a camel cannot carry, or to draw a load that the oxen cannot budge? Will power is but the unwavering intention to carry a task you set for yourself to completion. If I set for myself a task, be it ever so trivial, I will see it through. How else can I have confidence in myself to do important things? If I said to myself, 'For a hundred days, as I walk across the bridge into the city, I will pick up a stone from the road and throw it into the stream,' I would do it. If on the seventh day I passed by without remembering, I wouldn't say to myself, 'Tomorrow I'll throw two stones which will do just as well.' Instead, I would retrace my steps and throw in the stone. Nor on the twentieth day would I say to myself, 'Arkad, this is useless. What does it help you to throw a stone every day? Just throw in a handful of stones and be done with it.' No, I would not say nor do that. When I set a task for myself, I complete it. Therefore, I'm careful not to start difficult and impractical tasks, because I love leisure."

"The Richest Man in Babylon" by George S. Clason
This book looks very interesting indeed. I think I might read it from cover to cover to find out what's it all about.
The paragraph above struck me as it is exactly what I am doing with the pouches! Exercising my will power.

No comments: