16 October 2007

Recycle Yarn Like A Pro

Yesterday I indulged in sharing my thoughts on the subject of conscious evolution and explored what sustainability means to me. Today I want to follow this philosophical article with a pragmatic one.
Recycled yarn is sustainability in practice. It's fun and so in vogue these days! Look around. Is anything you see begging to be frogged and re-invented?

Well, here is how.

This unwanted wrap was stored in various "out of the way" corners of the house for years until finally I decided to put it out of its misery.



Once frogging begun I started turning the endless spaghetti of yarn into neat skeins with the use of a swift. This can also be done with the use of niddy noddy.



Whilst at it, I gently skimmed the fuzz created by the last hand-wash of the garment.



The frogged yarn is a bit curly. Don't worry about it. It will relax in the soak.



I couldn't believe how much yarn was stored in that wrap! I frogged and frogged, and couldn't see the end of it. We are talking Rowan chunky wool here. 10's of GBP worth of it...



Once I produced several skeins I prepared some tepid water with a drop or two of Imse Vimse wool shampoo.



I than gently immersed wool in the soapy water and left soaking overnight.



When the soak is finished gently squeeze the excess water and wrap your skein/s into a clean fluffy towel. Place the towel on the floor. Have a stroll on top of it (if you happen to have a toddler around he/she will gladly assist in that).
Once that's accomplished hang out the skein/s to dry. This can take anything from one to few days depending on temperature and humidity.
Note: if you are soaking more than one skein at the time take care as tangling them up is easily done.



Wind the skeins into balls, double-checking for any overlooked bits of fluff.

Et voilà!



Speaking of recycled yarn, do check out Susan the Recycler's eBay store for a selection of lovingly recycled yarn.

And finally, my first knitted cushion for home is ready, and it is made of recycled sari silk hand-spun in Nepal.



The blue wool is for a small collection of hand-knitted cushion covers. Look out for them!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Great photos and the sari silk cushion looks lovely.