21 September 2007

Bewildered Pod

A precious moment in a wonderous life of a knitter:

I was on the phone yesterday evening when Pod brought back children, and I nearly missed the only opportunity before the deadline to take the measurement I needed to finish the thing.

I tried to come up with a plan to measure Pod's hand without him noticing, as to preserve the total surprise factor of the upcoming event. I thought about it very hard for quite a while and ultimately had to admit myself completely defeated.

Back to yesterday.

Engrossed in a phone conversation I caught a glimpse of Pod headed for the front door, panicked, apologized to the person I was talking to for an unexpected squeal I let out and warned him that I would not be paying much attention to him for a minute or two, asked his forgiveness, grabbed the measuring tape (thank goodness I could place immediately this elusive object hardly ever there when needed!) and run after Pod - all in about 30 seconds.

I caught up with disappearing Pod on the doorstep and hastily asked him if I could please measure his hand.

I have known Pod for nearly 10 years now, and I think I can safely say that I have never seen him more utterly bewildered than in the short moment that followed.

He obligingly extended his hand.

8.5"

"Thanks Pod. See you Sunday."


Now, Pod is not a fool. He can put 2 & 2 together: she's a knitter & she needs my hand measurement MEANS I'll be getting gloves.

Ladies and Getlemen, 2 + 2 doesn't always = 4.

TBC.


Key:
deadline is "the Sunday party"
thing is "the knitted gift"
event is " producing an exquisite box encasing "the knitted gift" and presenting it to Pod

No comments: